In the latest UFC odds Alistair Overeem opens as the betting favorite -190 to Augusto Sakai as a +155 underdog. Augusto Sakai has only one loss in MMA to Cheick […]
- In the latest UFC odds Alistair Overeem opens as the betting favorite -190 to Augusto Sakai as a +155 underdog.
- Augusto Sakai has only one loss in MMA to Cheick Kongo, can he keep his undefeated UFC run with a win over Overeem?
- We break down the odds for Overrm vs Sakai with an early fight prediction.
Former K1 Champion & UFC legend Alistair Overeem returns on September 5 against Augusto Sakai. The two heavyweights are set to headline UFC Fight Night 176 aka UFC Vegas 9.
Alistair Overeem vs Augusto Sakai Odds
Alistair Overeem ranges from a modest betting favorite to a heavy, depending on which sportsbook you are using. On Bovada, Overeem is -190, (risk $190, win $100). For Augusto Sakai as a +155 underdog, means you can bet $100 to win $155.
The Low Down
Some great matchmaking here by the UFC brass. #6 taking on #9, two predominanty strikers and both with leverage to gain from fighting each other. The Reem ideally needs another top ten win before he makes his way back into the top five.
Augusto Sakai (15-1-1) last fought also in May, when he took a split decision against Blagoy Ivanov, and recorded the sixth win in a row. Before that he KO’d Marcin Tybura in the first round and took a split decision against Andrei Arlovski.
In a recent interview in Sherdog.com, Sakai believes that the smaller octagon of the UFC Apex in Las Vegas will be an advantage him.
“Overeem changed a lot of his style lately,” said the muay Thai pupil of Fabio Noguchi, who was the first master of Anderson Silva. “He is not aggressive like in old times. [He] is looking more for takedowns, like he did with [Jairzinho] Rozenstruik and avoiding strong striking exchanges.
Overeem vs Sakai Prediction
What we have here is a fight of youth in Sakai vs the experience of Overeem. Sakai has never been finished and wins by KO or decision, with no submission wins under his belt.
Overeem has 14 KO losses and his chin hasn’t held up as well, later in his UFC career. However he is the most accurate sticker in the UFC . Expect Sakai to come forward and try to bully Overeem; as the slightly bigger fighter. Overeem will have to utilize his clinch and knees to damage Sakai when he is closer in range.
When Sakai faces more experienced fighters he does tend to struggle, for example his split decision win over Blagoy Ivanov recently. Going by how Overeem looked in his last fight we are giving him the edge over Sakai.
UFC Vegas 9 fight card
- Alistair Overeem vs. Augusto Sakai
- Nicco Montano vs. Julia Avila
- Montana De La Rosa vs. Viviane Araujo
- Michel Pereira vs. Zelim Imadaev
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Macy Chiasson
- Bartosz Fabinski vs. Andre Muniz
- Brian Kelleher vs. Ricky Simon
- Jalin Turner vs. Thiago Moises
- Cole Smith vs. Hunter Azure
- Khama Worthy vs. Ottman Azaitar
- Alexander Romanov vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima